One day my Galaxy just stopped connecting to my computer so that I can transfer files. It charged fine, but my computer was just not establishing the connection.
I searched for months…trying different things online including buying the original cable again, reinstalling drivers, entering various codes, enabling debugging… blah, blah, blah. Well you know what worked? Chatting with a live Samsung Tech Support agent. Go figure!! But it’s not what you think.
To my surprised the tech was able to remotely control my phone after installing an app called Smart Tutor for Samsung. We went through a couple of steps that didn’t work until he suggested I start the phone in safe mode to see if it was an application that was causing the problem.
1. Power the device off (remove and re-insert the battery).
2. Press and hold the Power key.
3. When the device vibrates; release the Power key and immediately hold down the Volume Down key
4. Keep pressing the Volume down key until the device boots up completely.
5. If successful, Safe Mode will appear on the device screen in the bottom left corner.
Please connect the device in Safe mode.
Once I connected the phone, immediately everything starting working again. The USB icon on my phone popped up, and my computer asked me what I wanted to do with the device.
I was happy, but disturbed that I was going to have to go through the arduous task of uninstalling apps until I figured out which one was causing the issue. HOWEVER, when I restarted the phone, the USB function continued to work perfectly without installing one thing.
I figure if it worked for me…might work for you too.